Saturday, June 23, 2012

Jars:

I do have a strange preoccupation with only using Mason & Kerr jars. I suppose, aside from having the most reliable reputation, the name is important. After all, my last name is Mason and my Great Grandmother's last name was Kerr, so in a way, I feel like I was destined to be a canner.

Odly enough, although that side of the family is Mormon, I am the only real canner in the family that I know of. Not that all Mormons can, but it is a skill many are happy to teach :)

I have recently taken my new found, strange obsession to another level- looking for old canning jars. Last year, I was given a box that looked as if it had spent decades collecting dust in a garage. I was plesantly surprised when I discovered "Presto" Mason jars in excellent condition. Although I would never dream of using these jars in a pressure caner, I have used them for water bath processing. My batch of mixed peppers looked gorgeous!

While cleaning out our barn, I found a set of 4 blue bale top canister Mason jars. Covered in dirt and dust, they didn't look like much, but after a soak in soapy water with a drop of vinegar... they looked almost brand new.

While the Antelope Valley doesn't offer much in the way of gardening, I am fortunate to live close to an antique shop. For the past 6 months I've been driving past and commenting on how much cool stuff must be stashed inside this old building. Since we are moving out of state, my curiosity got the better of me and my mom and I stopped in for a look. Let me just say, on the outside it doesn't look like much, but on the inside it's a wonderland of stuff. There seemed to be a never ending supply of gadgets, signs, dolls, and a plethora of canning jars, which thrilled me. Although my self control was seriously tested, I managed to get out of there only buying 4 jars and spending around $30.00. My bounty contained a tall (1 1/2 qt?) blue Mason jar with a zinc lid, a Mason jar with an anchor design, a bicentennial Mason jar, and a clear 1 quart canister Mason jar with a bale lid.
These jars are too old for canning (in my opinion), so they will spend their retirement holding spices and other pantry items. Now I'm on the hunt to find gaskets to fit my jars. I've seen them on eBay for around $1.00 a piece, but if there are other resources out there, please drop me a line and let me know.




Nonetheless, if you are in the Antelope Valley, CA area be sure to check out The Barn Antiques located at 6851 W Avenue I Lancaster, CA 93536 (661) 726-9556. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment