Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Getting Back On Track...

A lot has happened in the last month or so that I haven't posted, we completed our cross country move where it is safe to say things are a whole lot different around here. I'm sad to report that I did miss the majority of canning season, so I guess better luck next year for me :( I'm sure there are serious canners who would have just put up a bunch of jars and packed them for the move, but being as many of my dishes didnt make it, I wasnt going to chance breaking my jars too. I did, however, get to put up a few jars of fruit cocktail, pineapple, pears, peach butter, spicy carrots, drunken cherries, and chocolate cherry dessert sauce. Needless to say, i've been keeping busy.

The move was long, 4 days of what seemed like endless traveling with dogs, cats, and two birds that all seemed to be getting more miserable as the miles passed behind us. I was excited to pass through Amarillo, TX and visit the AQHA Museum which far surpassed my expectations...as many of my closest friends are aware I am not a fan of the Quarter Horse. I know, to many I have just committed the ultimate sin...my mom had Quarter Horses and they just arent for me. Im a Draft Horse girl, my horses were always ready to work or do whatever I asked of them and the Quarter Horses **Our Quarter Horses** were lazy and freaked out when ever introducing something new. I guess they are creatures of habit....whatever. Getting back to the museum, it honestly gave me an appreciation I never had for Quarter Horses as I walked the hallways filled with amazing animals and true assets to the breed.

Now that I am here, getting used to the people who view me as a clear outsider, one thing I am really excited about is the amount of farmer's markets, or "fresh markets" as they are called here. There are a lot of people offering Organic goods, but I still cant wait until my garden is planted and producing because my canning habit is getting expensive. I am also anxiously awaiting the arrival of the goats and chickens I will be adding next spring.

On a more amusing note, I finally discovered grits. Being born and raised in Southern California, I have heard of grits but I have never tried them, my first visit to the local Waffle House with a friend cured that. They were shocked that I have never tried them before, but when I explained where I was from they quickly grabbed me a sample bowl and I was able to try them with sugar and plain. Apparently, "I'm from California" can be a good excuse for everything.....including my (on occasion) bad behavior :)


I hope no one else missed the prime canning season on account of a long move.

No comments:

Post a Comment